3rd Grade Ballers League Rules
Basketball Rules for 3rd – 4th Grade Boys
3rd & 4th Grade
- Every team plays 6 regular season games and 2 playoff games.
- First game is February 10th, Finals are April 14th.
- Tipoff at 10:15 SHARP.
- All players are encouraged to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to tipoff in order to warm up and practice with your team.
- Games have four 7 minute quarters with a 2 minute half time.
- Clock runs continuously, and only stops for whistles with less than 1 min left in the 2nd quarter and 2 min left in the 4th
- The clock stops on free throws until the player receives the ball on the 2nd free throw (unless under 1 minute of 2nd quarter or 2 minutes of the 4th quarter)
- There is one, 3 minute overtime per game, after the 3 minutes if it is still a tie game ends in a tie.
- 4 timeouts per game. 2 per half. Does NOT carry over.
- Each team has 7 players.
- NO player may be substituted if a player quits, ejected, or suspended from the league.
- Coaches must make sure that each player plays at least 50% of every game.
- We play 5 on 5. If one team only has 5 players, game is played 4 on 4. If one team only has 4 players or less, we’ll start the clock but wait for a 5th If the first period ends before the 4th player arrives then that team forfeits. For every 2 minutes that were run off waiting for the 4th player, the opposing team will be awarded a technical foul.
- Games may not be delayed to wait for a missing player.
- Players MUST wear their jerseys to every game. If they have no jersey they cannot play. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
- NO PARENTS ON THE BENCH. ONLY COACH!
- We are playing with 2 pointers only NO 3’s
- Free throws count as 1 point. Free throws are taken from the foul line
Fouls and Penalties
- Players are allotted 6 personal fouls. After that, a technical foul will be allotted.
- Shooting fouls result in 2 free throws.
- Free throw violations will be strictly enforced.
- Non-shooting fouls are inbounded from the sideline or behind the basket, according to where the foul took place.
- After 7 Team Fouls all fouls are 2 shots (this resets for 2nd half)
- Can advance the ball to half court for in bound if you call timeout.
- You have 5 seconds to inbound the ball.
- There is a penalty for being in the paint for more than 5 Seconds. Referee will give a warning but after that it will be loss of possession.
- Loss of possession if a player is holding the ball without moving for 5 seconds.
- No Press. You can’t press or play defense outside of the 3 point line. The first press violation will result in a delay of game penalty. All subsequent violations are deemed technical fouls and a 10 second clock runoff.
- -Substitutions must be made from the table; the player should be waiting at the table to get in at next whistle
- – FULL COURT PRESS is allowed when:
-Under 2 minutes in the game
- NO intentional fouls. We must teach our kids what “trying to foul”.
- NO FOUL LANGUAGE-Not permitted and Ref will assess a technical foul.
- A technical foul results in a personal foul and a team foul.
- Any player or coach receiving two technical fouls in a game will be ejected from the game, and will be suspended for their team’s next game.
- Technical fouls are penalized two foul shots by a player on the offended team, selected by the coach, and possession of the ball.
- Three technical fouls assessed to one team, regardless of the reason, will immediately cause the game to be forfeited. The team will leave the gym immediately.
- Any coach receiving a total of 3 technical fouls in a single season will be suspended from coaching for the remainder of that season.
- Any parent on the sideline deemed acting inappropriate will be asked to leave the gym.
- Semifinals matchups for will be seed 1 Vs seed 4 and seed 2 Vs seed 3.
- Semifinal winners will play in the championship; There will be no consolation games for the losing team
- Seeds will be ranked in following order: Record>Head to head>Point differential.
- Any Player that acts unsportsmanlike, the ref can assess a technical foul to that player’s team.
- Dads and spectators are required to stay on the side of the court designated by the chairs setup.
- Scorekeepers/referees have final say in game matters. Please respect their authority and teach the kids to respect their authority.
- Trophies will be awarded to 1st and 2nd place teams.